A bat at the 2800 Block of Egypt Road in Audubon has tested positive for rabbies, according to an announcement on the Lower Providence Township website.
The announcement was issued through the Montgomery County Health Department.
The bat tested positive on Aug. 8.
Per the announcement:
Anyone that has been bitten or scratched or has had saliva exposure by a bat must recieve treatment to prevent this fatal disease. If you, someone in your household, or any of your pets have possibly had contact with a bat or any other stray or wild animal, immediately call the Montgomery County Health Department, Division of Communicable Disease Control at 610-278-5117.
Rabies is a viral disease that infects the central nervous system, causes inflammation of the brain, and is transferable from animals to humans, typically from the bite of a rabid animal.
The disease is often fatal if left untreated.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), early symptoms of humans that contracted rabies include:
- General weakness or discomfort.
More progressed symptoms are more specific and include:
- Slight or partial paralysis
- Hypersalivation (increase in saliva), difficulty swallowing,
- And hydrophobia (fear of water)
The CDC states that death usually occurs within days of the onset of these symptoms.